We were happy to host our excellent US and European-based collaborators to jointly work on the evolution of social parasite genomes. In the few days of the workshop we made major progress, finally bringing the project over the hill and hopefully en route to eventual publication. Participants (as ordered in photo): Ti Eriksson (Arizona State [...]
Yesterday, Steve and I went to photograph some of the snakes kept at the Okinawa Prefectural Institute of Health and Environment in the care of our long-time collaborator Terada-san. To get a sense of what the snakes look like, you can see my photographs here. The first two individuals are Protobothrops flavoviridis, P. elegans, the [...]
Together with our collaborators from the National University of Singapore we just published a paper describing an improved method for making double-digest RAD-tag libraries. By adding a small run of degenerate nucleotides to the end of one of the Illumina indexes, you can barcode each individual ligation reaction and determine how many molecules participate in [...]
Shikha just received her grades, scoring at the top of her class, and completing her thesis. Congratulations!
Over lunch during one of his visits to OIST, my former boss Sydney Brenner suggested that I try a ribo-tailing technique for attaching adaptors to short DNA molecules. The idea is that the action of terminal transferase on riboguanidines creates a 3′ tail of controlled length, which can be used for attaching adaptors and synthesizing [...]
I am Jatin Arora. I came to know about Prof. Alexander Mikheyev and his Ecology and Evolution unit at OIST in October, 2013. I was intrigued about the potential offered by using non-model systems, e.g. the species of honey bees, ants, snakes etc. to understand how organisms interact with their environment. In debut, I worked at [...]
We were the proud hosts of Dr. Scotty Yang’s research group and his colleagues from Taiwan National University. His research group specializes in studying the patterns of dispersal in a variety of invasive ant species. We were treated to a wide range of topics, including a few fascinating finding about Wolbachia distributions in invasive ants. [...]
With the help of Ken Meacham of the Bandi Unit, we have successfully used some magnets to inexpensively 3D print our own magnetic stands based on this design and some inexpensive magnets. They look like cheap imitations, but just as well, if not better, and cost orders of magnitude less (last I checked the commercial stand [...]
Thanks to the hard work of Steve, and the help of Alex and Roy in mass spec, we were able to quantitatively measure protein concentrations in the venoms of two local snake species. The paper just went online in BMC Genomics.